We have received the below update from the Freight & Trade Alliance (FTA):
Freight & Trade Alliance (FTA) and the Australian Peak Shippers Association (APSA) wish to advise that we have received notification from Svitzer Australia in relation to protected industrial action by the Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) at Melbourne and Westernport Victoria
Update: Notification of protected industrial action
Stoppages in Melbourne and Westernport, Victoria
Svitzer Australia has received further notification from the Maritime Union of Australia of protected industrial action by members.
Detail of Protected Industrial Action
The notices of protected industrial action planned to take place involves members of the MUA employed by Svitzer Australia engaging in stoppages of work for 4-hours duration in Melbourne and Westernport commencing at:
- 12:00 pm on Friday 9 July 2021
- 4:00 pm on Friday 9 July 2021
- 8:00 pm on Friday 9 July 2021
Please note: The total stoppage is for 12-hours.
This targeted protected industrial action in Melbourne and Westernport will only cause further uncertainty and disruption to our colleagues, customers and stakeholders in the ports and state at a critical time when we need to keep goods moving.
Svitzer plays a vital role in supporting Australia’s supply chain.
- We understand the protected industrial action may impact your operations, and we want to assure you we are doing all we can to minimise that disruption and to provide support.
- We are currently reviewing schedules and crewing requirements to minimise any potential disruption.
- We will be in touch directly with any possible contingency plans for your services, operations or port.
Svitzer remains committed to bargaining in good faith to secure a new enterprise agreement, which maintains high salaries and core conditions and ensures a strong, sustainable foundation to continue to provide safe, efficient, and reliable towage services.
We continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated. Please contact our Customer teams with any queries relating to specific bookings.