HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) have now clarified the final implementation date for the Customs Declaration Service (CDS).
The Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system will close on 31st March 2023.
CDS will then serve as the UK’s single customs platform for all declarations and all goods will need to be cleared through CDS.
HMRC will withdraw services in two stages:
- 30th September 2022: Withdrawal of the ability to make import declarations on CHIEF will end
- 31st March 2023: Withdrawal of the ability to make export declarations on CHIEF and the National Export System (NES) will end
Further information will be provided in due course, HMRC have said.
To prepare for using CDS, HMRC have advised there are four key actions that should be taken:
- Get an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number
- Get a Unique Taxpayer Reference number
- Register your Government Gateway account details – once notified by your software developer, register for CDS and authorise your software provider
- Understand the changes to the Import and Export Tariff, available on UK
We will continue to provide updates as and when they are available. Please contact our Customer teams with any queries regarding specific bookings.